Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Busy Few Days In Newport

Our few days away started off well with a meal out in the evening with our daughters, their partners and my one and only grandchild Gwen...very nice too ! Good prices, good food and great company with plenty of time to catch up. Gwen tucked into an ice cream sundae which looked amazing but I just didn't have any room after my sizzling steak, baked potato and salad.
Our daughter Sally and fiancĂ© Dave are currently expecting grandchild number two, who knows when she'll arrive...... before or after Christmas? The hospital says it's a girl but you never know until it's delivered.
On Tuesday I took Ben for a walk down to see my dad while  Eric took the car in to the garage to get the hand brake sorted as it just wouldn't hold on hills making hill starts a bit hit or miss. It ended  up there for two days as they had to get in some more parts.
In the evening we visited our daughter Lisa and granddaughter Gwen and I had fun bathing Gwen after we'd had pizza for tea. She gave us a lift back to Clare's house as we couldn't face walking up the steep hill, although Ben wouldn't have minded another walk.
On Wednesday it was my turn at the dentist for a crown preparation, I didn't mind the drill but I hate the gooey stuff they use to make the impressions. Before I went I did the dog walking and it wasn't raining. It fact it was pleasant as it was warmer than the beginning of the week.
We checked the weather forecast before we left Whixall  and minus 2 degrees C forecast for Whixall, so we decided to leave an electric heater on low to keep the boat warm. We certainly noticed the difference when we arrived back today at the boat it felt warm as we opened the doors.
We came from south Wales to Whixall  through Wales today, via Abergavenny, Crickhowell, Builth Wells, Llandrindod Wells, Newtown Welshpool and then into Shropshire. It was the scenic route with lots of hills and rather windy roads but it made a change from going via Hereford, although it took longer than our usual route.
Back on the boat it was time to turn on the gas, light the fire and make some tea. A lazy evening followed, although Ben wanted to play ball!

No comments: