Thursday, September 20, 2012

Away Days To Newport

After a few quiet days at Tixall Wide I left Eric and Ben the dog to fend for themselves while I visited Newport. Plenty of food so they wouldn't starve and hoped Ben would survive a few days with Eric!
 
 
The trip started with a bus ride to Stafford from Great Haywood and then the train to Newport. Delays on the line meant my train was half an hour late which meant I would miss the connection at Bristol Parkway so I went  via Birmingham New Street instead. As usual the Midland Train wasn't busy but the Cross Country Train from Birmingham was very full. I did find a seat available but there was certainly no room to move with a passenger alongside me. I was certainly glad to be off that train!
 
 
In Newport I went visiting to see  my grandaughter Gwenllian and her mum Lisa. Clare and Paula came too so it was quite a family get together. Later Paula took me up the hill to Clare's house saving me the walk. We missed Sally and Dave who were away in London.
 
 
In the morning I had my final dental appointment with a filling, clean and polish. After that I went to visit my dad who was busy rebuilding his wooden framed greenhouse, but he did stop to chat to me before going back to work.  He's always doing something as he  likes to keep himself busy.
 
 
Clare and I had a little retail therapy in Cardiff in the afternoon, lots of looking but all I came  back with was a couple of pairs of pyjamas for Gwenllian......the last of the big spenders! We had lunch out too. Gwen loved her pyjamas and couldn't wait to get them on.
 
 
Today my journey back was much better, travelling via Bristol Parkway in less crowded trains. Lots of booked seats with no bodies in them though but I finally found an available seat to avoid having to move if the rightful seat holder arrived.
 
 
Eric had moved the boat to Radford Bank saving me the trip to Great Haywood so by one o'clock I was back on the boat. What a greeting from Ben , Eric didn't get a look in for a minute. Tonight we're sampling the food at 'The Radford Bank Inn' which is really good value for a roast meal. I'm thinking about the puddings at this moment!


Update:
'The Radford Bank Inn' is closed until Friday 21st of September for new kitchens so no roast meal. We just caught the No 1 bus to Stafford which stops outside a Wetherspoons pub called 'The Picture House' and had a steak instead.  As the name suggests it was an old cinema which opened on the 23rd of February 1914 and still in use until the 1990's. Lovely interior, well worth a visit, not bad food either!

 


 

No comments: