Monday, November 28, 2011

A Walk To Valle Crucis Abbey

I've been  having problems with my AVG Internet Security as it kept downloading the same huge 55MB update and then not recognising it had already done it. After it repeated itself four times I realised there really was a problem and 'Help' was needed.  I  looked on the AVG  website and found a repair option in the installation downloads and after an even larger download the problem was solved......fingers crossed!

A view of Valley Crucis Abbey and Coed Hyrddyn (Velvet Hill)
On Sunday I decided to walk to see the ruins of Valle Crucis Abbey which was founded in 1201 for Cistercian monks  until it was closed in 1536 by Henry V111.  The name means the 'valley of the cross' as Eliseg's Pillar which  once stood 20 ft high with a cross on the top is nearby. We began our walk with towpath walk heading as far as the bridge before the Motor Museum.Then we walked up the road until we saw the sign advertising Abbey Farm Tea Rooms and camping pods and followed the sign with lovely views of Velvet Hill.

We climbed a stile, Ben jumped it (on his long lead) and crossed a sheep field to the next stile and then another taking us out onto a green track leading round the hillside back to Bryn hyfryd  and down the Dinbren Road back to Llangollen with great views of Castell Dinas Bran. We had fun on the track as we met a huge ram with curly horns and I decided to get out of it's way and sit on the benches off the track at the viewpoint overlooking Valle Crucis Abbey........hoping it would move off the track! A few minutes later a horse and rider came past so I warned them about the ram. We then carried on walking, no sign of the ram.....thank goodness.

A walk wouldn't be complete without a dip in the canal, no not me.... Ben! We walked back through the field near the mooring basin and Ben headed for water and had a wash, just as well as he was dirty after our walk. Back to the boat for a towel dry and some biscuits and I had a cuppa while lunch finished cooking. Yes I did take the camera, here's a couple of photos on route.

A view from the green track

A view of Castell Dinas Bran and Trevor Rocks from Dinbren Road

4 comments:

artymess said...

wow beautiful walk.....can't wait for my back to get better so that I can drive to my Wales i'm am seriously missing the scenery .....x

Tom and Jan said...

I gave up on AVG and installed "avast" instead. Now much happier!

Tom

Elsie said...

Hi Artymess,
You know what they say- you can take the girl out of Wales but you can't take Wales out of the girl!

Hi Tom & Jan,
I like AVG and it's the first time I've had a problem.

artymess said...

No you are so right .....Wales is in my heart,soul and very being....x