Thursday, September 15, 2011

Moored At Billinge Green Flashes, Trent & Mersey Canal

Wardle Lock
Despite being all alone in Middlewich, it was fine. As I said yesterday lots of noise from a barking dog in nearby garden of a house but it didn't keep us awake as it eventually stopped. Everyone in Middlewich must walk their dog along the towpath  so we woken early by Ben seeing them off.

The boat felt cold this morning so I put the heating on for half an hour to take the chill off. Outside the sun was shining and it turned out to be a lovely day. Ben and I walked down to Wardle Lock , the lady who is normally in the cottage seems to be gone as all the brass plaques have been taken off her door.If she was there she usually came out to chat and help open a gate when she was fit enough.

We  turned left then reversed back to top up with water at the junction, and Eric popped over King's Lock Chandlery to get some oil. He came back with some Craftmaster polish so he must be going to tackle the sides of the boat. We had four more locks to do and I knew we were back on the Trent and Mersey Canal as the gates seem so much heavier and the  paddle gear is stiff. We waited at Big Lock, a double lock to see if the following boat was coming our way but there was so sign of them even though I lifted a paddle to fill each lock in readiness for them. They must have stopped to shop in Middlewich.

We moored up opposite Billinge Green Flashes  and the view out of the window is below. There's a few other boats moored here but we're spaced out enjoying the peace and quiet.

Billinge Green Flashes


Julia & Mark said...

As far as I know Maureen has been ill & has left the cottage & is now in sheltered accommodation.

Elsie said...

Thanks, I was wondering where she was as she always chatted to us and asked us where we were going.

Ken said...

I hope Maureen is ok, we have had many a chat with her, and some good advise. I am sure she is missing her chats, and so will the regular boaters who passed that way. Ken