Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pit Stop At Polesworth, Moored In The Countryside

This morning the historic boats were on the move at 5am, waking me up.......could I get back to sleep...NO! Another one came by at regular intervals. Needless to say we were up early so Ben and I had a lovely walk in the Nature Reserve called Alvecote Pools which runs between the canal and the railway line before we set off. It occupies the land where Alvecote Colliery opened in 1873 so that the coal was shipped by rail and canal. The Alvecote shafts were abandoned in the 1950's and years of mining caused subsidence and lakes formed from the floodwater of the River Anker. Lots of tracks to follow creating circular walks with the canal towpath and Ben and I only met one young lady with her dog.


It decided to rain just as we left but we didn't have far to go, just as far as Polesworth where 'Ken Cox Autoelectrics' were bringing back our Travel Power Box and Generator and fitting them. All working now so I can finish that washing but our bank account has suffered another blow. Ben and I had another walk when we moved off the Polesworth Visitor moorings out into the countryside.

No comments: