Monday, May 02, 2011

Rag Rugging , Cruising And Walking To Audlem


My rag rug
We started off the new month of May with a cruise to Coole Pilate Picnic Area where benches and barbecue stands have been provided by the Shropshire Union Canal Society. I walked with Ben the dog once we'd left Nantwich behind with dogs and bikes galore. There was little  boat traffic going towards Audlem so no queues going up Hack Green Locks although there were queues of boats waiting to come down the locks.  Plenty of room at Coole Pilate so we stopped  and it steadily filled up during the afternoon.


A quiet place to spend the night and in the morning we headed towards Audlem. Some stretches of the towpath have been improved with a rough stony surface but it's easier to walk on the grassed paths. Ben and I enjoyed our walk passing Overwater Marina on the way to Audlem. At Lock 15 (the bottom of the Audlem flight of locks) I bought some very large eggs from the bloke who sells sausages and other meat from a hut. He was very chatty and helped us through the lock. One more lock and there was actually room on the Visitor Moorings- it's so quiet .....this evening there's only three boats here and one on the moorings alongside 'The Shroppie Fly'. Being a Bank Holiday the crowds were out walking the towpaths and filling up the pub but once teatime came it's all peaceful once again.


I'm been busy rag rugging since Liz (NB Henry) started me off with the hessian. the ragging tool, a bag of old tea shirts to cut up. She also showed me how to do it! I finished it today with some binding tape from Audlem Mill, so the picture is for you Liz.

2 comments:

artymess said...

I love your rug Elsie ....really homely ....x

anne said...

immpressed