Friday, June 18, 2010

Return Trip Stourport to Whittington

York Street Visitor Moorings (Stourport on Severn)

I had a really good sleep although I did resort to ear plugs as I'm more used to country noises. A town has a different smell too and I was aware of the traffic fumes. In the evening the fishermen arrived above the lock. As planned this morning we went down the lock and turned around. Eric filled the water tank while Ben and I had a quick stroll to see the river- the water tap is very slow!


Off we went back through York Street Lock and heading north once again. Next to Falling Sands Bridge the Severn Valley Railway crosses high above on a viaduct. On the way down to Stouport a steam train was going over the viaduct as Eric took the boat under Falling Sands Bridge- it happened too quickly for a photo. I was walking with Ben and I waved at the steam train and the driver waved back and tooted his whistle just like in the Railway Children.


We stopped for a loaf of bread in Tesco's Kidderminster and then on through the underpass to the picturesque Kidderminster Lock next to the cathedral. The underpass has a really good mural painted on the walls- a pleasant change from the usual graffiti. Today we had a change I worked the boat through the first few locks and then we changed over and I steered the boat through the final three locks in the rain. I did crash a bit on the first one which had a bridge built into the lock but soon got the hang of getting the boat in the hole without crashing. A bit further on we found a spot to moor near Whittington Lock and it then stopped raining.

No comments: